- 3 ½ Cups cake flour (not self rising)
- ¾ Cup unsalted butter – 1 ½ sticks
- 2 Cups sugar
- 3 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 4-6 Tbls green food coloring or ¼ – ½ tsp food color gel (to color preference)
- 3 Tbls unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ Cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake papers.
- Cream butter and sugar together on medium speed with electric mixer until they are light and fluffy, approx 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after every egg. Add vanilla and cocoa, mix until incorporated. Add your food coloring until desired color. Note: Once baked, the color will generally darken.
- Sift cake flour and baking soda. In a measuring cup, stir the buttermilk and salt together. Add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture into the colored batter in three parts, alternating between milk and flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.
- Fill cupcake tins approximately half to two-thirds full and bake until tester (toothpick) comes out clean. Depending on your oven, about 20 minutes. Half way through, rotate your pans for even cooking. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and put the cupcakes on a cooling rack. Let them completely cool before frosting.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ Tsp Gold gel food coloring or 1 ½ Tsp Yellow liquid food coloring
- Whip cream cheese and vanilla together until light and creamy. Add powdered sugar a half cup at a time until desired flavor achieved. Slowly add food coloring until it has reached your desired hue.
- On cooled cupcakes, apply frosting with a knife, pastry bag or frosting applicator tip.
Food coloring tip: Suggested to me was to use Wilton food coloring, specifically the gel. It is highly concentrated, inexpensive and created great color in these cupcakes.