Picture it….cookbooks strewn around the house, flipped to various pages….Rack of Lamb with Mint Yogurt Sauce; Chicken, Prosciutto and Provolone Rolls with Marinara; Breaded Bake Cod; Grilled Steak with Arugula (minus the grill right now…boo winter)…. So many choices….what to decide. I will admit here that the idea became that I would narrow it down to two and the prices at the local grocery store would be the decider.
What did the local grocery push me in the direction of….the perfect steak dinner designed for two.
The only element of this dish/meal that I would change if given the opportunity – THE GRILL. Oh, how I miss grilling and the warming of temps this week does not help the cause on this one.
The meal was complete with a loaf of french bread & butter, Rosemary Glazed Carrots and a strawberry chocolate flan (dessert was straight from the store. No muss. No fuss on that one and I won’t take credit for it…but it does make me want to try making flan now. Yum! Yum!).
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb Sirloin, Rib-eye or other similar cut of meat, 1 inch thickness
- Pepper – fresh ground of course
- 8 ounces baby arugula and spinach mixture
- 1/2 Cup Good Olive Oil, plus extra for steak
- 1/4 Cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbls Dijon mustard
- Shaved Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- Prep grill or preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season steak with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside and let it come to room temperature – approx 15 – 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk Olive Oil, lemon juice and mustard till combined and put in fridge. Salt and pepper to taste. Rinse arugula and spinach and let dry.
- If you are grilling, heat, clean and oil the grates and place steak on grill and cover for approx 5-6 minutes, turn over and cover for another 5-6 minutes. It is medium rare when the temperature is 145 degrees.
- For oven/stove prep – heat a small amount of olive oil to medium-high in a stainless, oven safe skillet (cast iron would also work). Remember that you seasoned the steak with some olive oil, so you don’t need much in the skillet while heating. Place seasoned steak in pan and without moving it, sear for approx three minutes on the first side and turn over and do the same on the other. Then place the whole pan in the oven for approx 5 minutes, until the internal temperature reads 145 degrees for medium rare. Cook longer if you enjoy a more well done steak.
- Remove skillet (with a pot holder) from the oven, move steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. While steak is resting, toss arugula/spinach mixture with dressing (start with about 1/3 and add gradually to your preference). Slice steak at an angle and arrange atop the salad on your platter. Shave the Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler into large slices over your steak & salad platter.
- Bring to the table and serve. ENJOY!!!