It is amazing how scents can transform a mood, bring back a memory or excite a calm or frenzied mood in people. I believe that garlic is one of those undeniable scents that would make even the most novice cook want to venture into the kitchen, thrown on an apron and hit the stove.
This easy technique of roasting can give you many options for dishes and will give the flavor just a touch more richness in flavor. A simple three ingredients can lead to many food options.
After talking about this and all the experimenting that has been done, I need to go back out and roast some more garlic….I may be in the mood for roasted garlic hummus, or roasted garlic, basil, mozzarella and tomato pizza (little take on the margarita pizza), or just roasted garlic smeared on a baguette. I just hope the significant other likes this, too, because garlic breathe is a true outcome of loving roasted garlic this much.
3 heads garlic
3 Tbls Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).
Cut the top of the garlic head off so that the cloves are exposed.
Place the head of garlic on the tin foil sheet and pour olive oil and salt over the top.
Wrap the head in the tin foil, place on baking sheet and roast in the over for 30-45 minutes. Until the garlic cloves are slightly brown and soft to the touch.
Remove with small fork, paring knife or by squeezing the whole head until all cloves pop out.
Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks…if they last that long.
Multiple Options with Roasted Garlic:
- Eat plain – for the true garlic lovers.
- Spread on warm baguette slices.
- Roasted Garlic Hummus – recipe coming soon.
- If you use extra olive oil while roasting, strain the olive oil into a separate container after roasting and you will have garlic infused olive oil for cooking. Keep in fridge and know that it will solidify in the fridge. Just scoop out what you need and it will thin when exposed to heat.
- Make a compound garlic butter by combining 1-2 heads roasted garlic with 1 stick (8 Tbls / 1/4 Cup) room temperature butter. Place mixture on wax paper, roll up and refidgerate until used.